12.20.2006

Concrete walls and curses...

What did the fish say when he ran into the concrete wall?



.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Damn!

Same thing I said when I got tagged for the second time. I figured I could safely ignore the first because it was kind of a wishy-washy maybe you got tagged or maybe you didn't.

But to get called out specifically, well that is playing hardball...here goes.

1. My first job was a paper route that I shared with my brother. I still remember the dogs that would scare the bajeebies out of me. The Zral's had two dogs that would wait for me. They had a long dark driveway and Smokey and Mukaluk would wait until I was in the darkest part of the driveway before coming tearing out of nowhere like two bats out of hell barking their fool heads off and scaring said bajeebies out of me.

2. My worst job was at Cargill Foods just south of Calgary in the winter/spring of 1997. Cargill Foods operates one of the biggest beef processing plants in southern Alberta. I worked in the 'hide room'. (TVFree, you may want to close your eyes as you read this...) The hide room is where the cow hides go for their initial processing after they are removed from your roast beef. My first job there was to cut the faces off. This generally included ears, horns, eyeballs, lips. It was nasty. After said face parts were removed they were thrown onto a conveyor belt that took them to 'rendering'. I presume wieners came out of rendering. I lasted three weeks at this job. I have recently come to think that people should have a hand in killing and preparing any meat that they eat. We would likely eat a lot less meat.

3. My wife and I have booked the summer of 2009 for our Cross-Canada bike trip. We have talked about doing this for a long time. It was one of the things that connected us when we first met. We plan to take our kids with us. They will be 12 and 10 years old. We plan to use the Trans-Canada Trail as much as is possible. Also in the list of countries to explore by bike are Iceland, Norway, Ireland and (if we are really brave) the stretch of the TCT that runs from Calgary to the Arctic Ocean.

4. One of the best ways to get me really frustrated is to sit me in front of the TV with the XBox in front of me and my 9 year old son on the other controller. When we play 'Need for Speed: Underground', he toys with me like a cat plays with a mouse. It doesn't matter how many laps we do, 90% of the time he will finish his laps and have time to go make a sandwich before I finish. It is totally irrational, but it drives me nuts. Then we change controllers and he will do the same thing with my car...

5. I have come to appreciate the primal simplicity of Japanese-style toilets...especially in public. Squatting means you aren't wondering who was there before you. I will leave it at that.

There we have it.

I think of the seven or so people who read this blog, everyone has just been tagged and I am the end of the road, or they don't have their own blog.

Everyone, that is, except for Mini-Me...yer it baby!

If you are a lurker...feel free to consider yourself tagged and drop me a note.

****about 20 mins later***

Oh yeah...the PR-Postulator! Your turn.

8 comments:

Rachel Z said...

Get a site meter! You'll learn there are many more than 7 people reading your blog.

http://www.sitemeter.com

Laurel-Anne said...

Wishy-washy?!! What's wishy-washy about "consider yourself tagged"?
I didn't ask much - just leave a comment. Is that too much to ask?

Raven says killing our own meat hasn't stopped him from eating it - more people should raise their own so we wouldn't need commercial meat packing plants.

And Zral's dogs weren't scary.

Vertigo said...

Got the site meter, Rach...thanx for the beta.

L-A I am not at all surprised that Raven hasn't stopped eating meat. I would rather kill my meat than stop eating it. However, there are a great many urbanites (and Kootenayers) who would stop eating meat if they had to kill it first.

Zral's dogs were scary.

Laurel-Anne said...

La Haye's dobermans were scary. I couldn't figure out how dogs were going to pinch me, though.

Laurel-Anne said...

Still waiting for comments on my blog, by the way...

Rachel Z said...

What do you mean, "thanks for the beta"?

The doberman's in the trailer park near the Hub were very very scary. It was hard to hold a slurpee and ride fast enough to make an escape.

Vertigo said...

beta is feedback.

Hence the beta version of blogger, when they gather feedback from users and then make changes.

I don't remember LaHayes having dobermen.

Woodog said...

About the meat thing..

http://www.quaker.org/fqa/fager/horn.html