5.15.2007

Bad Blogger!

I hear that if I want people to read my blog that I need to post stuff.

We are starting to ramp up our moving plans. It seems a little crazy to think that we will be flying home in just over 2 months. There is so much that needs to happen between now and then. We have someone very interested in buying our car (which has been parked since April 1 save a few trips that would have cost more by train).

I have finally sent applications for teaching jobs in Kamloops. I had been waiting for my BC Certification to be completed, but that is likely another month away and I want to get my name in front of the powers that be as soon as possible. There are no advertised positions available with the Kamloops board yet, but the St. Ann's Secondary is looking for a PE teacher...will keep you posted.

The Car Free thing has been going well. I have found a great route to my most distant school that allows me to put the hammer down and clear my mind.

Kudos to the Canadian Men's Hockey team for showing the rest of the world who is boss. I suppose at least some of my remaining interest should go towards the Sens who appear to be headed to the big show. At least Vancouver made it farther than Calgary....

Last week, Selah came home with news that she needs glasses. Knowing Kelly's visual history, we thought it reasonable that Selah's eyes could be starting to change. I figured that it would be better to wait a while to give her eyes some time to stabilise before getting glasses, but once I did a little research on th internets I discovered that such things are better treated early before they become permanent.

So, off to the same shop where we got Mixons specs. We knew that it was open until 7:30 pm. Except that it was closed when we got there at 6 pm. On our way home, Selah was quite distressed because her teacher told her to get glasses, so we stopped at another little shop for a test. They had a very poor selection of kids glasses that seemed ridiculously over-priced. It seemed a little weird that the prescription that this guy came up with for her was for far-sightedness, the opposite of Kelly.

After some cajoling and coercing, I finally got Selah out of there with the promise that we would go back to the other store with more selection the next day.

Next day rolls around and Kelly gets a phone call from Keiko, our personal translator, who is phoning for the school nurse. Turns out they did a little vision test for Selah at school that morning and everything was normal. We are not sure if her eyes were just bothering her or some unknown reason or if she really wanted glasses. Regardless, its a good thing we didn't buy the stupidly expensive ones from the little shop across from Asahi University.

1 comment:

sans auto said...

I had a friend over for dinner and his 11 month old had glasses. Apparently he was terribly far sighted and as soon as they put the glasses on his hand-eye coordination and motor skills improved dramatically. It only took a few days for the kid to realize that the glasses were a good thing and should not be removed, eaten or stepped on.