5.22.2007

Weirdness

I have been working in downtown Nagoya for the last couple months on Sundays. It is a nice job teaching motivated adult students who are interested in overseas travel and possibly study.

It is a bit of an annoyance to have to get up early on a Sunday to head downtown, but the job itself is rather enjoyable.

I have been riding my bike to Hozumi Station for the half hour trip into Nagoya and then a few minutes on the Higashiyama Subway to Sakae, the downtown, ritzy shopping district in Nagoya, where my job is located.

Sakae Station is a very busy subway station with all the shopping and restaurants near there. One of the newest restaurants is a big Tully's Coffee, just a block away from the Starbucks. Kelly prefers Tully's so I have been picking up a bag of beans every couple weeks. Last week, I noticed that they were selling English Toffee Cookies for only 170 yen. I bought one.

I was munching on it on my way to the subway and ended up in the line to buy a ticket with a half-eaten cookie.

It was then that I felt a tap on my arm. I turned to look, expecting to find someone telling me off for eating in public. Instead I saw a very frail looking and quite possibly homeless man gesturing at my half-eaten cookie. I took a bite, not entirely understanding his intent. Then he pointed at the cookie, pointed at himself, and told me that he wanted my cookie.

I know that the recommendation is that people not give stuff to panhandlers and that thought flashed through my mind rather boldly...not to mention that this was a darn good cookie!

The other thought that overpowered that thought that this guy was obviously hungry and for him to have the cojones to actually ask for my cookie, I felt needed to be recognized.

I gave him my cookie.

1 comment:

Mom C said...

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for Me." Matt. 25:40.

Bless you.